The Importance of Caring for Baby Teeth
It is a common misbelief that baby teeth, due the fact that they are not permanent, are not important to care for; but, this could not be more untrue. Per the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD), it is crucial to maintain the health of primary (or “baby”) teeth. They are the framework around which the adult teeth will develop.
If a child experiences tooth decay or other damage to their teeth, there are several reasons to have them fixed. This includes:
– Primary teeth are important to guide proper eruption of permanent teeth
– Every child’s smile affects their self esteem and confidence
– Primary teeth assist in the development of a child’s speech
– Primary teeth help our young patients maintain proper nutrition with proper chewing
– Untreated baby teeth can have negative effects on the development of permanent teeth
– Untreated teeth can result in the child suffering from severe pain and the developing of an abscess. An abscess is when pus develops in a cavity formed within a tissue because of an inflammatory process in response to an infection. If the pus is not drained, the area can get more swollen and painful.
But, per the AAPD, it’s not all just about the teeth and avoiding pain. In fact, early childhood cavities are associated with several negative health issues, such as:
– Iron deficiency anemia
– Malnutrition, including low vitamin D, low calcium, and albumin concentrations, as well as elevated PTH levels
– Disordered eating
– Extreme failure to thrive and obesity
Good dental health often leads to better overall wellness. For more information about how Children’s Dental Health is dedicated to preserving your child’s oral health, or to schedule an appointment, contact us today.
Source: AAPD, Why is it important to fix baby teeth? https://www.aapd.org.au/post/important-fix-baby-teeth#.Wi_MvUxFxzk
You May Also Like
How To Keep Your Child’s…Trick or Teeth! Halloween can play some major tricks on your child’s teeth if you’re not careful. We don’t discourage anyone from treating their sweet tooth this time of year,…
Serving Lots of Happy Patients
"Amazing staff! They walked my 3 year old through what they were going to do and let him see the tools before they even started! Both my kids actually enjoyed going to…" Read More
"I was dreading having to take my anxious 6 year old to have two of her teeth extracted, but much to my surprise it went very well thanks to the patience and…" Read More
"I take my 3 kids here (7,5, & 2) I have zero complaints!! The staff is friendly, the place is super kid friendly, very clean and they are very easy to schedule…" Read More