Your child’s first visit with us presents an excellent opportunity to demonstrate how important and fun it can be to maintain good oral health. When children are both excited by and engaged in their dental care, we see improved oral health outcomes – and that’s our true goal.
First visit for children 2 years of age and under:
A first check-up at this time helps to establish a “dental home” for your baby, which is a trusted place where you can take your child for all dental health needs. First visits for children of this age are intended to help identify any problems in development, as well as help educate parents on how to best prevent tooth decay. At this age, it can be difficult to routinely clean teeth, and our dental staff can provide best practices and approaches to make daily routines easier and more effective in your household.
The stress of a child’s first dental appointment can be nerve-wracking for parents and little ones. Therefore, our private, designated “quiet rooms” allow for us to adapt our processes and make your child feel more comfortable and safe on their first visit, especially if you are concerned about your child being anxious or unsettled. Our goal is to accommodate your child’s needs, and we welcome parents to join their child at this time.
During this visit, the hygienist/EFDA will see you first. They will:
- Examine and clean your baby’s teeth
- Show you how to play a role in properly cleaning your baby’s teeth (we know it’s not always easy with those tiny little mouths!), discuss diet and fluoride needs, and recommend oral care products.
Your dentist will then join you and your baby. They will:
- Examine your baby’s mouth closely to check for any tooth decay
- Share any concerns they may have regarding your baby’s oral development.
- Answer all of your questions regarding your baby’s teeth and oral development.
Your baby’s visit will conclude by us providing a patient dental health bag, complete with a specially-sized infant or toddler toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss.
First visit for children 3 years of age and older:
During your child’s first visit, our pediatric dental team will:
- Gather information about your child’s medical history and oral routine to determine cavity risk
- Introduce your child to dental cleanings
- Examine your child’s teeth
- Take any X-rays that are needed
- Discuss your child’s oral hygiene, diet, injury prevention, oral habits, and dental development with you
Following your check-in at our front desk, your child will be escorted to one of our treatment chairs in our patient hygiene bay, where they will be able to relax, put on their (super cool!) sunglasses, and watch a movie during their check-up. If needed, we also have private “quiet rooms” for younger or special needs children who may require the comfort of their own space. The hygienist will then perform a teeth cleaning, which includes flossing, and fluoride application (as needed/approved by parent).
Once your child’s dental cleaning is complete, one of our pediatric dentists will perform a complete examination of your child’s teeth and mouth addressing any additional concerns. Your dentist will then recommend a schedule for your child’s future dental visits, which can range from once every 3 to 6 months, depending on their risk level for cavities. Once your child’s visit is complete, he/she will receive a fun prize from our kids’ treasure chest, as well as a patient dental health bag, which includes a child-sized toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss.